Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Dressing Recipe and Caramel Green Beans

Well, that's the last time I set a schedule of a recipe a day. I'm too lazy.

On to the recipes!

I love stuffing. Stuffing, dressing, whatever you call it - it's delicious. But I like to keep things simple. A lot of people put sausage and fruit and nuts and all sorts of shit in their stuffing, and I can't stand that. I keep it real.

This is actually the recipe I learned from my Stepmom; she makes the best dressing on the planet. It's never too runny or too dry and it was always my favorite part of her holiday meals. The best part? It's the easiest thing you'll make for this feast.

Delectable Dressing

The basics:
This recipe will serve 4 smaller servings; double it for larger portions or for more people. If you run out of drippings, use more broth, it'll be okay.

1 box Stove Top chicken-flavored stuffing (or flavor of your choice)
1 box Progresso Chicken Broth
Drippings from your turkey, OR drippings from extra drumsticks
Sliced black olives
Sliced canned mushrooms (or sliced fresh cremini or white mushrooms), 1/2 cup (optional. I hate mushrooms but if you like them, rock on)
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1 rib celery, finely diced
Butter

Put a pat of butter in a saucepan with your diced onions and celery, giving them a good saute. Don't let them turn brown; just soften them up a bit. If you are using fresh mushrooms, saute these as well. You can always use some garlic, too! (I threw that in just to get Amy's attention.)

Follow the directions to make stove top..well, on the stove top, using as much drippings as you can in place of the water. Do not use water! If you don't have enough drippings, make up the difference with chicken broth.

Fluff your stuffing with a fork as per directions on the box. Add your onions, celery, olives, and mushrooms if using. Toss it all together and mix well, covering with foil to keep warm or throw it on the table if you're ready to eat.

This stuffing was really salty for me this year, but it was because I brined the turkey beforehand which led to saltier drippings, in my opinion. In this case, use low-sodium broth or you CAN use water if you're terrified of salty stuffing. In my opinion it's still the bee's knees.

No comments: