Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Super Easy Pizza Pockets

Lately I've been doing a lot of thinking on recipes that would please little kids as well as adults. Luckily for me, I'm married to an adult that eats like a little kid, so the other day I thought this might be a good recipe: Super Easy Pizza Pockets.

This is great for a Friday night. We have a semi-tradition that on Fridays we have pizza, and lately I've been either making the pizza myself or making something pizza-themed. The other day in the shower (I get all my best ideas in the shower, who knew) I thought, hey, I bet I could take Pigs in a Blanket and use the same principle for pizza.

It turns out I was right. You can get creative with this recipe and do whatever pizza toppings you like. I like using string cheese for the cheese rather than shredded because it's neater, easier, and make a delicious melt inside the pocket.

I just want to make another note that if Pillsbury ever stopped making crescent rolls, I would be screwed because I use that dough for EVERYTHING.

Super Easy Pizza Pockets
Serves: 4-6 people, 2-3 pockets per person
Nutritional Info: Who cares?

The Basics:
2 tubes Jumbo Crescent Rolls
1 Package Mozzarella String Cheese
1 tiny can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
1 tiny can Hunt's Tomato Paste OR
1 jar Pizza Sauce, if you're lazy
Italian Seasoning, to taste
Pizza toppings - I used fresh thin-sliced pepperoni and bulk Italian Sausage.

Take your pepperoni and throw it in a pan, letting it brown a bit and crisp up. Cook on medium heat just until edges are brown. While you're doing that, cut your string cheese into little pieces as shown.


Put your pepperoni on a paper towel to drain off the fat, and use the same pan to brown your sausage. Break it up into smaller pieces as suitable for a pizza, as shown above.

Empty your sauce and paste into a small saucepan and heat on low heat, stirring frequently to keep it from browning. Add a dash of olive oil and Italian Seasoning blend to taste. If you'd rather, simply heat some premade pizza sauce.

Open your dough and spread them out on a cookie sheet, leaving the triangles of dough OPEN. Spread a layer of sauce onto the dough, and top with preferred toppings. You can cram as much as you like in them, it's okay if some spills out. Fold up the dough into a little pocket. It doesn't matter how you do it, just as long as most of the dough is holding in your filling. Repeat x 12.

Bake according to directions on the crescent rolls. If you like, brush melted butter and Parmesan on top in the last five minutes of baking. Pile up on a plate and serve, basking in your family's praise.

No comments: