Monday, December 1, 2008

How to make a gobble-worthy gobbler: Thanksgiving Done Right

Let's face it, there's really only one reason to cook a holiday meal: to show off.

This year it was my duty to cook Thanksgiving Dinner, as my in-laws were coming for the week to see the sprout. I began preparing for this meal in October; I had one objective in mind, and that objective was one all us domestic soldiers can understand:

I must beat the Mother In Law.

It's not that I don't love my MIL; I do. I love her a lot. But it's not love, it's cooking, and cooking is serious business. If you can prove you're a better cook than your MIL, your place is assured in honor and you earn bragging rights for life. So you see I had an important task ahead of me.

So this week, I will be presenting a menu for Thanksgiving, but it can easily be used for any holiday. This menu was MIL-tested and taste-approved. Any recipes I used from other chefs will be cited and linked, and the recipe here will include how I modified it to make it my own.

If you want to hear the words, "Son, you married a good cook", these are recipes essential to your battle royale. Some of them require some prep the night before, but if you're not committed to being a hardcore, knockdown cook, THIS IS NOT THE ARMY FOR YOU, SISSY. MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY THE BETTY CROCKER FROZEN DINNER ARMY.

Monday: Roast Beast Sammies
Tuesday: Best Mashed Potatoes Ever
Wednesday: Addictive Turkey Gravy
Thursday: Deceptively Easy Dressing
Friday: Caramel Green Beans
Saturday: Candied Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Crust
Sunday: Apple Butt Turkey

No comments: